Emergency & Disaster Preparedness
[Planning] [Supplies] [Articles] [Downloads] [First Aid]
Develop an emergency
Meet with your family and discuss why
you need to prepare for disaster. Explain the
dangers of fire, severe weather and earthquakes to children.
Plan to share responsibilities
and work together as a team.
- Discuss the types of disasters that are
most likely to happen. Explain what
to do in each case.
- Pick two places to meet:
1. Right outside your home
in case of
a sudden emergency, like a fire.
2. Outside your neighborhood
case you can’t return home.
Everyone must know the address and
- Ask an out-of-state friend to be your
“family contact.” After a disaster,
often easier to call long distance.
Other family members should
call this person and tell them where
they are. Everyone must know your
contact’s phone number.
- Discuss what to do in an evacuation.
Plan how to take care of your pets.
Prepair a disaster
Keep enough supplies in your home to meet
your needs for at least three days. Assemble a Disaster
Supplies Kit with items you may need in an evacuation.
Store these supplies in sturdy, easy-to-carry containers
such as backpacks, duffle bags or covered trash containers.
- A three-day supply of water (3 gallons per person)
- A three-day supply of food that won’t spoil.
- One change of clothing and footwear per person,
and one blanket or sleeping bag per person.
- First aid kit
- Prescription medications and extra pairs of glasses.
- Emergency tools including a battery- powered radio,
flashlight and plenty of extra batteries.
- An extra set of car keys and a credit card, cash
or traveler’s checks.
- Sanitation supplies.
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family
- An extra pair of glasses.
- Keep important family documents in a waterproof
- Keep a smaller kit in the trunk of your car.
Learn where to
Identify your community
warning systems and evacuation routes.
Include in your
plan information from community, workplace, and schools.
Learn about what
to do in specific hazards.
Practice and maintain